Post ‘First Lost’

Dear Fash,

Just a continuation from my last post about my first ever proper loss of a loved one (the passing of my gran).

So, the journey home wasn’t the easiest in the slightest, although a lot of positives came from it – here’s the breakdown in point form:

  1. Got to Manchester airport ready to check-in and board the flight back to Singapore as scheduled
  2. The lady at the check-in counter flat out rejected me because my passport was not valid (my passport was three months away from expiring, and international flying regulations only will allow me to fly had my passport been six months away from expiring)
  3. Attempted to blag my way onto the flight, and failed miserably
  4. Rang my uncle, whom I then passed on to the manager on-site to again attempt to get me on the flight
  5. After which, the manager on-site told me to sort my passport out ASAP whilst she protected my ticket so that I could fly once I had a new passport
  6. Rang my uncle again, and searched for how to get a new passport within a day, and found out that I had to travel to London to get it done
  7. However, the closest appointment I could get to get a new passport would be the day after in the afternoon at 2:15pm, with a collection time of 6:15pm and then a flight (the last possible one I could get) at 9pm (meaning I had to be at Heathrow for 7pm)
  8. So, I hopped on a train to London which cost me a whopping £60 (nearly broke my heart, but it was better than the £90 that I would’ve had to pay had I not had my student discount pass with me)
  9. Got to London and had to get on the tube with my suitcase etc., which was not pleasant
  10. Did not have any data so my uncle struggled to send me the details of my hotel, and what I needed to do/prep for the appointment
  11. A lot of phone calls later, I got the address for the hotel and information on what things I needed to do
  12. Put the address into the maps app, and it took me 30 mins to get there when it should’ve taken me less than 10 mins
  13. Whilst walking, the heavens decided to open up so I spent 30 mins walking in rain, and by the time I got to the hotel, I was absolutely soaked (oh, and I desperately needed a wee too)
  14. But thank the good Lord, once I had settled myself in the room I was fine and I rang my uncle again to speak to him about the plans etc. – all good
  15. Miraculously found out that my friends were in London, so I went to meet them for dinner, after which I fell asleep peacefully in the hotel room
  16. Next morning, had breakfast and went running around Victoria to get some documents completed for my passport application, by the time I was finished I had 4 hours to spare till the appointment so I met up with my friends again
  17. Bought myself jeans from Cheap Monday in the sale for £14.20 – the original price was a whopping £70 – which made me a very happy bunny
  18. After that, I got myself back to Victoria for my appointment, and lucky for me, they let me in one hour ahead of my scheduled time
  19. Met my mum’s friend for lunch and coffee whilst waiting to collect my passport, it was a nice catch-up
  20. Collected my passport at 5pm, which was a vast improvement from the original collection time of 6:15pm (whoopie)
  21. Made a dash to the airport straight away, because the tube journey from Victoria to Heathrow isn’t the quickest
  22. Got the Heathrow to find my uncle there – he had been at the airport for 4 hours at that point. Why you ask, refer to the following point
  23. My uncle had spent all morning trying to sort my protected ticket out (remember point 5), and it turned out that BA wasn’t willing to allow me to fly from Heathrow since the original ticket was for me to fly from Manchester
  24. Shit
  25. Luckily (again), there were really nice and compassionate on-site BA managers that were willing to ignore that I hadn’t gone back to Manchester for the flight and allowed me on the next available flight out from Heathrow
  26. Lo and behold, at 7pm, I was told my the check-in desk that I was being allowed on the 7:50pm flight back to Singapore (instead of the 9pm, again praise the Lord)
  27. So I said my goodbyes and endless thank yous to my uncle and my mum’s friend, both of whom have been ever so helpful with dealing with me and the stresses of the flight and passport mishaps (all because I’m stupid and hadn’t renewed my passport on time)
  28. Rushed through customs (not really, it was painfully slow), and then to the train connection area (I flew off from terminal 5, for anyone wishing to know where I flew off from)
  29. I missed the first train connection and had to wait 5 mins for the next one, and at that point it was already 7:20, so I was pissing myself thinking that the gates would probably have closed by then, and that the staff wouldn’t let me on the plane
  30. The train finally comes, but given my twisted luck, I was only to alight at the second stop (C gates for anyone of you who can relate)
  31. Got there for 7:35-ish and ran to the gates only to find out that we weren’t even boarding
  32. So I decided I could afford to use the loo, so I went really quickly and made it back in time for boarding
  33. Boarded the plane to find out that I was going to be sat on a 12-13 hour flight next to a big man
  34. I was not in the mood to be squashed for 12 hours of my life, at all
  35. BUT LUCKILY (yes, again), a family wanted me to swap seats with them so that they could all be sat together instead of apart
  36. I accepted the offer immediately – and took the aisle seat which they offered me
  37. Sat next to two really nice people, all was good
  38. Had a decent flight home (BA isn’t all that good in comparison to Singapore Airlines (SQ) at all, except that BA had air fresheners in their loos – something SQ should incorporate), I spent most of it asleep
  39. Made it for the wake and funeral
  40. Had a long weekend filled with sadness (and moments of joy too)
  41. Now I’m here typing this all up because I can’t resist telling you this story filled with stress, luck and relief and arghh, I’m just glad the stressful period has now passed.

Wheeeeeeeeeew, what an interesting story for the next generation isn’t it?


This is my life lesson to you in a blog post, can I get an amen for that *queue the amens* – daz right.

Speak soon, love you loads,

your fave asian



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s